Wednesday 9 January 2013

Pokémon Explosion!

Hey guys!

Hope everyone is doing well and has recovered from the Steam Sales! (my mind has, my wallet hasn't).

So the topic of conversation going around for gamers young and old at the moment is of course yesterdays announcement of the sixth generation Pokémon games X and Y. I for one was really happy that it was a generation six announcement and not a remake of generation three like a lot of people were expecting. Growing up Pokémon Gold was one of my favourite games so I rushed out to by Heart Gold on release and to be honest it was kind of meh. I loved that you could have the Pokémon of your choice walk around with you but that was all that really stood out or me. Also I don't know why but I am way more hyped up for X and Y than I was for Black and White. I'm not really sure why but it could be down to the three starters for X and Y. I will go through them in a moment but in my opinion they are the best starters we have had since Chikorita, Totodile and Cyndaquil. In the other Pokémon games I find you have maybe one or two good choices and the others are pretty average. For example Piplup in my opinion was the best choice in Diamond and Pearl with Turtwig being average and Chimchar being a good design and cool concept but landing up being a bit of a disappointment. In Black and White Snivy was the obvious choice over both Tepig and Oshawott. However the X and Y starters all look equally interesting in their own way which if you have been looking at 4chan you will already know has completely split Pokémon fans instead of them showing a clear favourite.

So here are my thoughts on the three starters!


Froakie has a really cool design and is rumoured to be water/psychic which I think would suit him perfectly. I love the way they made it look like he has glasses and he is holding his head a bit like Psyduck which makes my think water/psychic is definitely a strong possibility. My bets are water/psychic or water/ ice since in one of the previews it looked like he was using some sort of ice move. I think he will be very popular for people who like originality and who like intelligence when it comes to games (for example people who would pick the Asura in Guild Wars 2). I'm really looking forward to him but I think he is in danger of being ruined by his evolution's designs. We will have to wait and see!


Chespin is really adorable! I mean he comes with his own hat! However his design is very generic. He kind of looks like a happy brown Dewott wearing Chikorita as a hat. I still really like Chespin though and I think he will still be a very popular choice because of the 'cute factor'. He is also in danger of being ruined by his evolution's design even more so than Froakie. I have a feeling this cute little fella will evolve into something quite ugly and chunky but I really do hope I'm wrong! I think I like Chespin because in my opinion he is the underdog for this generation and I always love the underdogs! I'm going to put my bets on him being either grass/normal or grass/fighting.


Last but not least there is the beautiful Fennekin so called after an actual type of fox called the Fennec fox which is known for its huge ears. This is the starter all of the girls are going to want to choose. I know, its sexist but come on look at her she is the new Vulpix. Did we need a new Vulpix? No, probably not but this is their way of appealing to the girls and I'm not going to lie this starter is going to bring in the bucks for them. She is the nicest looking fire starter since Torchic and a lot of people are going to pick her since getting a good fire Pokémon is tough in the games. My bets for her are either fire/normal or fire/dark.

I myself am finding it hard to choose between these three but another choice is playing on my mind and that is the decision between X and Y. The two legendary Pokémon are both gorgeous and mysterious as you can see. The buck or fabulous stag as I like to call it is called Xerneas and reminds me of the spirit in Princess Mononoke. The legendary bird is called Yveltal pronounced ee-vell-tall. I don't really like the way its wings and tail look the same but other than that I love the black and red colouring. I don't really think we need another legendary bird though so I will probably be picking fabulous stag.


So what are your thoughts on the new Pokémon game? Do you have a favourite starter? Will you be buying X or Y? Do you think you can wait until October? I'd love to hear your thoughts so post a comment below!


-BGG


No comments:

Post a Comment